St. Joseph Catholic School provides a stimulating and rigorous academic environment in which students are challenged, supported and developed to reach their full potential. Students learn within a Christian environment designed specifically for middle school aged students. Highly qualified and subject specialized teachers, administration and support staff work collaboratively to address student individual needs, maximizing their learning experiences to achieve student success.
-Reading Language Arts:
-Mathematics including Algebra I high school credit and above:
-Classic Language: Latin I
-Modern Language: Spanish
-Electives for Middle School include:
Robotics (Semester 1)
Yearbook (Semester 2)
-Specials: Music, Strings, Art, Advanced Technology, P. E., and Health
Student Art Work Portfolio
- Two classes per grade level designed to increase level of one-on-one instruction and smaller class sizes
- Highly qualified West Virginia licensed teachers
- Additional qualified support teachers to provided acceleration, enrichment and intervention where needed through pull out sessions or small group learning environments
- Highly differentiated and academically challenging curriculum provided
- Advanced problem solving mathematics curriculum including additional accelerated mathematic levels. All students have the ability to leave with a minimum of Algebra I high school credit and/or above.
- Mathematics Resource Room is offered to all middle school students from 2:55 p.m. to 3:25 p.m. for additional support in Mathematics.
- Classic and modern language programs including Latin I, Spanish I and Mandarin classes
- Advanced technology including iPads, Chrome Notebooks, laptops, Smartboards and desktops in each classroom. All middle school students receive their own individual Chrome Notebooks.
- Special classes provided in Art, Music, Technology, Health and P.E.
- After School Programs including: Archery, Strings, Chorus, EW (Elevate Writing Club), Chess, Advanced Art, Triple I Investigation Club
- Students from 8th Grade annually compete in the West Virginia Golden Horseshoe Competition and the West Virginia Quiz Bowl.
- Students are encouraged to participate in various events such as the school’s Social Studies Fair, Science Fair, Cabell County’s Math Field Day, and Cabell County’s Spelling Bee
- IXL is a web based math and language arts program designed to reinforce the curriculum throughout the school year.
- Accelerated Reader Program designed to increase reading fluency and comprehension mastery • In-house student academic diagnostic testing
- Student Support Plans overseen by the school’s Dean of Student Affairs
- Character Plans overseen by the school’s counselor
- County services including Speech and ESL
- CTB Terra Nova 3 standardized test administered
- Weekly Mass and Choir
- PBR (Positive Behavior Rewards). Students are recognized and rewarded for outstanding behavior, academic effort and overall attitude throughout the academic year.
- Student Electives including, Advanced Technology classes, Advanced Art classes, Student Government, Choir, Middle School Broadcast Team (WIRISH) and Middle School End of Year Talent Show.
- Camp Magis retreat is offered to all 7th Grade students. Students enjoy a three day retreat in Huttonsville where they enjoy the beauty of the West Virginia Mountains and the numerous activities schedule by the camp.
- 8th Grade Washington D. C. three day field trip takes place at the end of the academic year
- Athletic programs including; basketball, soccer, cheerleading, golf, tennis, cross-country and volleyball
- National Junior Honor Society for eligible students • Service hours are required for all middle school students.
- High School Credits Available in Math, Spanish and Latin